Director of FAR Labs
This role is now closed. Please see our other opportunities.
We are seeking an organized and entrepreneurial individual to lead FAR Labs, an accelerator for early-stage research organizations and individuals. This role will be very hands-on. Since it is a new role in our organization we are excited for the best candidate to place their unique mark on both our company and the position.
FAR AI is a research non-profit that incubates and accelerates high-potential AI safety research agendas. To complement our in-house research efforts we have recently launched an accelerator program, FAR Labs, to support early-stage research organizations and individuals. FAR Labs currently hosts a small, high performing community of approximately thirty people spanning FAR staff, collaborators and partner organizations.
FAR Labs is a major new initiative launched by our executive team, with around 25% of FAR’s overall budget allocated to it. Our members primarily focus on AI safety (technical, strategy & governance) research, although we also host individuals and organizations that are working to improve the long-term future of humanity in other ways.
About the role
We are recruiting for a Director of FAR Labs to lead and continue to grow the project. The position reports to our Chief Operations Officer and you will also work closely with our Chief Executive Officer.
The director of FAR Labs will:
- Oversee membership of the accelerator program, including overseeing the application process, refining membership criteria, and communicating with prospective members.
- Build and maintain a high-performing working environment for those at the FAR offices.
- Develop and champion an ambitious, welcoming and impact-oriented culture.
- Design and execute initiatives that enable collaboration and knowledge exchange between our members and external experts.
- Supporting the day-to-day running of FAR Labs, including managing stock and our relationships with external contractors and vendors.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Overseeing our application and selection process for new members.
- Managing the day to day office operations of a research space (including but not limited to managing all contractors & vendors).
- Onboarding new members by introducing them to the space and our culture.
- Helping define and championing a culture that enables people from a range of backgrounds to productively work together on high-impact problems.
- Planning and executing events that foster collaboration, knowledge-sharing, and relationship-building among FAR office members and other key stakeholders (e.g. the ML research community).
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to support board meetings, workshops and events of up to 50 people.
- Staying up-to-date on trends and developments in the AI research community to inform event planning and strategy.
- Assisting FAR Labs members with general support (preparing conferencing systems, triaging technical issues, printing and coordinating meals.
Reasons why you might be a good fit:
- You are a people-person and are excited by the thought of building a great community and solving important problems.
- You have experience managing budgets.
- You have strong organizational, project management, and communication skills.
- You have experience working with researchers and/or in a research-focused environment.
- You have the flexibility to work evenings and occasional weekends as needed (for special events).
You might not be a good fit if:
- You want to work remotely. This is an in-person only position for Berkeley, California.
- You are unable to be available for the occasional evening and/or weekend special event.
You will be an employee of FAR AI, based out of our offices in Berkeley, California. We are happy to sponsor visas for eligible applicants.
The position is full-time, compensated at $80,000 to $140,000/year depending on experience. We will also pay for work-related travel and equipment expenses. We offer catered lunch and dinner at our offices in Berkeley.
The application process consists of a 30-minute screening call, a 60-minute interview focused on your skills and experience, a 60-minute culture fit interview, and an 8-hour paid work test. Applications close May 22nd 2023. We are recruiting on a rolling basis and may close applications early if we find a suitable candidate, so please apply as soon as possible to maximize your chances.